Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving

Just a few lines which may be all I manage until after Thanksgiving. We're expecting, as of right now, 24 people (including our two selves). A 21-pound organic turkey just arrived at the front door, and is now reposing in our fridge. Yikes!

Actually, we've been hosting this festivity for 14 years now, so although it's always a bit of a frantic rush, we're used to it. It's a lot of fun to bring together a bunch of diverse folks from teenagers to 80-somethings, and the only thing that would be more fun would be not having to haul the turkey out of the oven every 15 minutes to baste it for four to five hours!

I'm thankful this year, even though I'm also wistful. The vicissitudes of the financial markets have taken a lot out of me, but I'm trying to remember my favorite adage: "Adversity is inevitable; misery is optional." So I do my best to keep my chin up, and count my many blessings. I'm thankful that most of our nearest and dearest are healthy and happy, I'm thankful that we're looking forward to a President Obama (although right now he's looking a bit too "Clinton-lite" to me!) instead of four more years of Bush redux, and I'm thankful that after 24 years and lots of curve balls to deal with, my dearest spouse and I still love, respect, consider, and care about each other. I wish the same to everyone out there!

No comments: